First Responder is a comprehensive 40-hour course designed for "first responders"- those individuals most likely to be the first rescuers on the scene of an emergency.
The program reflects the latest advances in first aid and CPR. First Responder provides professional rescuers with the information and skills they need to respond to medical emergencies.
First responders need more than advanced first aid training. They must also become "critical thinkers" - ready to put their skills into action at a moment's notice.
The course includes the most recent First Aid & CPR guidelines and meets Federal regulations and a variety of provincial/territorial requirements for Advanced First Aid.
This course is designed to teach First Responders advanced first aid techniques: how to sustain life, prevent further injuries, and the consequences of further injury until more advanced medical personnel arrive.
About this course
- 40 hour course with flexible
- Certification in Advanced First Aid/First Responder
- Includes CPR
- Includes AED (Automated External Defibrillation)
- Conducted by a certified Red Cross First Responder Instructor or Emergency Medical Responder Instructor
- Practical scenario based
Who should attend
Fire dept members, Industrial safety personnel, Emergency response team members, Lifeguards, Police, Ski-Patrol, Athletic trainers. CPR-C is a pre-requisite.
First Responder course participants will learn about the following:
- The Emergency Scene
- Body Systems
- Preventing Disease Transmission
- Primary Survey
- Enhanced Secondary Survey
- Measuring Blood Pressure
- Respiratory Emergencies
- Oxygen Administration
- Airway insertion, Suctioning
- Breathing Devices
- Cardiac Emergencies (CPR)
- Bleeding and Shock
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Injuries to the Head and Spine
- Spinal Boards, Cervical Collars, K.E.D
- Injuries to the Chest, Abdomen and Pelvis
- Injuries to the Extremities
- Sudden Illness
- Heat and Cold Emergencies
- Special Populations/Crisis Intervention
- Reaching and Moving Casualties
- Multiple Casualty Incident
- Written exam (min. passing grade
ActiveLife First Aid Training is based in Colchester County and is owned and operated by Kevin Fitch.
Kevin is qualified as an emergency medical responder instructor and works part-time as a ski-patroller during winter.
For a minimum group size we can provide a course at your location.
CONTACT us for further information or to book a course.